Monday, January 18, 2010

The Golden Globe Awards

I obsess. I admit it. For about the next week I will be thinking over and over again about all the images that came across my screen last night at the Golden Globe Awards ceremony; the more laid back, liquor infused, down to earth counterpart to the Oscars which will air Sunday, March 7, 2010.




Did anyone else feel the hardly restrained animosity toward James Cameron? The man that people glob onto because they know it will mean fame and money (and more money) for themselves but they know they have to make a deal with the devil first? I trust my intuition, even through the airwaves, and I was so embarrassed for the man. Yes, a technical genius but not exactly a people person. And when he tried to get the already most overly self aggrandizing group of people in the world to clap for themselves? Oy vey. As I said: embarrassing.


Yet Cameron's wins were hardly all there was to this award ceremony. I think I need to watch it again and end with the montage of Scorsese clips and his speech and pretend that the program ended there. Meryl Streep's honest assessment of herself and her place in the world order was refreshing and humble. Halle Berry was visually STUNNING. Thank god Mo'nique won and Lee Daniels was recognized for his direction of Precious. 


I LOVE Ryan Murphy, genius creator of GLEE (and Nip/Tuck) and I loved what he said about the importance of Arts Education. I am so wrapped up in the soap operatic plot of Glee and it's ground breaking stereotype bashing representations of gay teens and Jews as athletes that I did not even think about the Art Ed piece. Like I said: Brilliant.



3 comments:

  1. I particularly loved Cameron Diaz in red. Ricky Gervais was fantastic. James Cameron is proof that you can be a very ugly man and still be highly successful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also want to add that though i am not trying to be a hater, M'Nique's speech sort of made me cringe. And the girl in UP IN THE AIR who was also in the vampire movies so deserved best supporting actress. let me also add that my all time favorite moment was Chloe Sevigny yelling at the guy who ripped her ugly ass dress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were spot on with the Chloe dress- got a BAD comment/grade in Entertainment Weekly. Cringe? Why?
    Cameron is just one of MANY ugly successful men. POWER is more seductive than looks (for women). Stephanie Seymour and Peter Brant....Christy Brinkly and Billy Joel... who else can we come up with? William H. Macy and .....

    ReplyDelete