Saturday, February 27, 2010

Rant and Rave- Just saying....

Every once in a while I will experience or see something in my cultural environment upon which I feel compelled to comment. Sometimes it will be a rant, sometimes a rave. 


First, a rant. I went mall shopping with my eleven year old daughter last weekend. It was a right of passage of sorts. This was the first time that she and I had a date together, by ourselves - she has a twin brother- in which we were going to the mall. Even though I have mixed feelings about using shopping as a bonding experience with my kids, gosh darn it, it works and I know that as they get older it will be something that I can utilize as a way of connecting with them. 


Anyway, my daughter and I were in pursuit of a pair of skinny jeans and a new sweat shirt. We went to Macy's, JC Penny's and Sears. I was getting more and more irritated as went through the clothes for girls 7 through 14 at these stores and was exposed to the lack of choice.  I am not exaggerating when I say (because I started keeping track) - that at least 75% of the clothing, both pants and tops had either hearts, peace signs or both on them. 


Can any one out there tell me why besides the fact that the fashion of the day is a bit retro 70's hippie?


I thought about the subtle cultural messages that this conveys to girls who are on the verge of adolescence: Don't speak up in class, be nice, keep the peace even if it is at the expense of something you feel strongly about, don't speak up, don't be "feisty," suppress your anger, keep a smile on your face no matter what.


Why don't boys have hearts and peace signs? Boys are the ones that really need to learn the lessons that these culture symbols teach us.


If boys clothing were inundated with peace signs and hearts perhaps their would be less bullying on the playgrounds, less fighting, less put downs, more true heart connections, more hugging, less homophobia.


Most importantly, if boys had peace signs and hearts on their clothing, when they grew up maybe there would be NO WAR!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment